Thursday, July 26, 2012

Late Plate, Kent Ridge Drive

Located in a quiet corner of National University of Singapore, I could imagine this place being a hit among the students. Thankfully, we came during the summer holiday period and there was hardly a crowd on the tranquil Saturday afternoon. I was surprised to see mostly families dining as I had imagined the place to be filled with students from the hostel.


The cafe isn't particularly big and can probably seat 20 to 25 people comfortably.




Upon placing your order, they would hand you a number tag to be hung on the utensils pot. It's pretty cute.
Corned Beef Hash
Potato, Onions & Gruyere Cheese, baked eggs & Sour dough & Caper Gremolata
$16.90

I was contemplating between the Corned Beef Hash and the Beef stew pie and I must say that I wished I had gone for the latter. As a dish, it was rather interesting, I liked the composition of potatoes, onions and Gruyere cheese but it became rather salty after the initial phase. It didn't help that the beef was rather sparse. I would go for the Beef stew pie the next time where I would get the hearty chunks of beef!

The Caper Gremolata and Scorched Sourdough
The Caper Gremolata was a refreshing addition to the dish, but the scorched sourdough turned out, well, too scorched. It was dry and tough, and provided little relief to the saltiness of the dish.
Nice accent pieces that add to the visual appeal of the dish

Eggs Benedict
2 Poached eggs on Kalamata Rosemary Scones with Citron Hollandaise Sauce and a choice of smoked Ocean Trout or Shaved Lamb Prosciutto
$17.90





The Eggs Benedict was wonderful. Their rendition of the dish was unique and was a delight to the palate. I thought the citron hollandaise sauce was excellent and the rosemary scone was crisp and very satisfying. We loved the dish!

Other items on the menu include Monk Fillet ($15.90), 'Porky' on a roll ($16.90), 'Crickey' Beef Stew Pie ($15.90). We spotted a patron having a grilled chicken sandwich with salad and I thought the portions were rather decent and it looked pretty delish.

Americano and Iced Latte
$5/$6

Iced Latte
$6
The coffee was pretty decent. I liked that the milk was not too overpowering in the latte. 

Nice place for a weekend brunch!

Late Plate
11 Kent Ridge Drive, #01-03 Shaw Foundation Alumni House, NUS, Singapore
Tel: +65 8328 3127

No comments:

Post a Comment