Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Food for Thought, 8 Queen Street

It was no surprise to find Food For Thought completely full on a Friday night, and fortunately we made prior reservations for a big group of eight for dinner. The outlets at Queen Street and Singapore Botanic Gardens sport two slightly different menus and I was keen to visit the cafe for its dinner menu after having patronised the place for its breakfast and dessert menu a couple of times.

Food For Thought at Queen Street
 
Full house sign, waiting was approximately 40 minutes if you did not make a prior reservation



Food For Thought's Feature Menu

They featured a special menu with a starter and two main course choices, only available for a limited period of time.

Malt & Malteasers Milkshake
$8.50
 Decadent and rich, the milkshake was a delight at the table.


Crispy Curry-Spiced Chicken & Spicy Chilli Fries
$18
The Crispy Curry-Spiced Chicken was a surprise when it arrived as the portion was huge. The chicken was served with buttery corn and thyme tomato salad.


 The chicken was crisp and moist with an appropriate dash of curry powder.


Tempura Soft Shelled Crab and Spicy Cream Tomato Linguine with Egg Ribbons
$20
 The featured dish was very well received with three people in the group ordering it and I must say that it was a wise choice. The soft shelled crab was crisp and the linguine was done al dente, just the way we like it. Some of us had the spice level customised, but the original version really isn't too spicy to begin with.


Chai Spice Brûlée Salmon
$22
Served with Smoked Red Capsicum Risotto and Mango Ginger Chutney, I thought the rendition of this dish was lovely. The juicy slab of salmon was coated with an interesting top of slightly charred sweet bits which added an interesting twist fish dish. Coupled with the sweet mango chutney and savory risotto, this is one clever dish which I enjoyed thoroughly.


Pan-seared Salmon and Basil Almond Pesto Risotto
$22
 This is second featured dish on the special menu. I was contemplating between this dish and the Chai Spiced Brûlée Salmon and I opted for the latter after the staff's recommendation. I am glad I made the choice because this dish does seem rather ordinary in comparison to the Chai Spiced Brûlée Salmon.


Moist Carrot Cake
$6
A chunky cake with carrots, shredded coconut, pinapples, walnuts and cream cheese frosting topped with toasted walnuts. I am not a huge fan of coconut so the cake did not go very well on my palette.




Old Southern Red Velvet Cake
$6
The Old Southern Red Velvet Cake, on the other hand, was one of the best Red Velvet cakes that I have had to date. I loved the dense cherry vanilla pound cake beautifully layered with rich cream cheese frosting and drizzled with cherry sauce. I found myself stealing bits off my friend's plate after I abandoned my Carrot Cake.
Hazelnut Chocolate Crunch
$7
Three layers of chocolate sponge with thick hazelnut chocolate, toasted hazelnuts and crispy wafer flakes, coasted with a layer of dark chocolate. I can only imagine how chocolate lovers would scream in delight at this sinfully rich cake.

Profiterole with Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream
$15

We abandoned our cakes immediately when this arrived. It was huge (fork placed at the side for comparison). This was the highlight of the day with the wonderfully crisp pastry puff storing five luscious pearls of ice cream. Definitely a dish that I would return for.


Food for Thought
8 Queen Street
T: +65 6338 9887

Opening Hours:
Mon - Sat : 9am to 10pm (Last orders from kitchen 8.50pm)
Sun : 9am to 9pm (Last orders from kitchen 7.30pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment